I’d have to say even though I love my entire kit of goodies, there are a few things that I wouldn’t be able to function without!
- Translucent Powder has to be my #1 item because it helps to set make-up, mattify oily skin, and gives a smooth and flawless look to any client or model. Two favorite brands that I use are Cover Fx and MUFE’s HD Microfinish Powder.
- Bronzer is a definite must-have as I can use it warm up the skin and give it a natural glow and I can also use it to contour the cheekbones as well as give depth to parts of the face if necessary. I love MAC’s Refined Golden as well as NARS Laguna or Tarte’s Park Avenue Princess. All are soft and subtle.
- Mascara: What would we do without mascara??? It is imperative to have mascara to help define and give eyes a polished look when you want it to be natural or to really add on the layers when you want that total glam!!! I’ve even taken a flatliner brush to my mascara when I was missing a liquid liner and used it as an eyeliner. Some brands that I love are MUFE’s Smoky Lash, Guerlain’s Le 2 and Sephora’s Lash Stretcher, which are all very nice. Of course the steadfast Great Lash by Maybelline is fantastic too!
- Peach-tone concealer is a staple in my kit because it helps me to cover up dark under eye circles, dark pigmentation like freckles and scars, and bruises on the skin. A little bit goes a long way and the peachy tone helps to counteract the purplish/bluish tones in pigmentation. I love Erase Paste from Benefit.
- Matte Brown/Taupe I love this because I can use it softly to deepen the creases of the eyes without being too heavy and also use it to define eyebrows. Depending on the skintone, I can sometimes use it to contour as well so long as it’s not too ashy.
- DUO eyelash glue: Not only is this glue superb for adhering false eyelashes to the lashline, but it also does a swell job of adding jewels to the face to give a 3D effect. Dries super fast and to a clear finish; non-irritating and does just a fabulous job.
- Water: I always have a spray bottle of water in my kit. I can wet my brush to make my eyeshadows wet to foil them onto the eyes or to use as liner. I can add water to sheer out moisturizers and foundations. Water has so many uses and can help intensify or dilute colors easily with no fuss.
- Eyeshadow Primer: I love eyeshadow primer. It’s imperative to use eyeshadow primer if you want to keep that in place and on your face all day! I apply a dot or two all over the eyelid and under the lower lash line before doing my eye makeup. It keeps everything steadfast like a magnet. Some key ones that I love are Urban Decay’s Eyeshadow Primer Potion and Smashbox Lid and Lip Primer. You can also use the primer on the edges of your lip to keep lipstick/gloss from feathering and bleeding out.
- Peach/pink tone blushes work well on nearly every skintone. I like blushes that have a slight shimmer so that it gives every gal a subtle glow and a more youthful appearance. Some of my faves are and also Deep Throat, Orgasm, Sin, which is what I use on almost every client and on myself. You can also mix these blushes with a clear lipgloss to use on your lips too! ’s Pink Grapefruit
- All-over face primers are so important in my kit as they help to mattify shiny clients and also “fill in” the deeper pores and those clients that have a thicker texture to their skin. Face primers help to smooth everything out, fill in unevenness and provide you with a canvas that will produce a flawless finish every time. I never want to make my clients look heavily made up and using a face primer ensures a more polished look. Some favorite primers are MUFE HD Primer and Dr. Brandt’s Pores No More.